The Law Center P.C.
Call Us Now :

What Are My Rights if I’m Pulled Over?

What Are My Rights if I’m Pulled Over?

If you’re stopped by a law enforcement officer, you should ensure you are courteous and polite. It is not legally required, but it is not to your benefit to be combative or rude. An important thing to remember is that you are not by law required to tell the officer anything about where you’ve been or if you have had anything to drink that evening.
Additionally, by law you have the right to decline to perform any field sobriety tests. You do not have to exit the vehicle unless you are being taken into custody and you may legally request that the officer issue you a citation and let you be on your way. You do not have to consent to a field Breathalyzer test, either; this test is inadmissible in court and is only useful to incriminate you.
However, if you are taken into custody at any point during your interaction with police the rules change. Once you are in custody you are required by law to consent to a breath or blood test for alcohol, or a blood test for marijuana. Refusal to comply with one of these tests will result in an automatic one year suspension of your driver’s license as Colorado has a law known as the “implied consent” law. When you signed your paperwork for your license, you agreed to consent to a blood or breath test should you be suspected of being under the influence and subsequently taken into custody.


The Law Center PC

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Request A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

South Metro Denver Office 
300 Plaza Drive, Suite 200
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129

Phone: 303-991-5280
Fax: 303-991-5250
Highlands Ranch Law Office Map

Tri-State Region Office
(Serving Western Kansas, Southwest Nebraska, and the Eastern Plains of Colorado)
1005 Main St.
Goodland, KS 67735

Map & Directions

Back To Top